Aerie Institute is proud to announce the first ever “Mighty Sword” and “Ink Pen” awards…
The “Mighty Sword” award will be given to the book which rates highest on the BES (as close to perfect 10 as possible), while the “Ink Pen” award will be presented to the book which rates lowest (as close to lowly 1.0 as possible).
Deadline to submit your nominations : 15th May 2007
The winners will be selected by a poll based on all nominations received. (Subject to change based on number of nominations)
- No restriction on number of books you can nominate for a particular award. Also, the books can belong to any category (fiction/non-fiction) and any genre. (See rule #5 for more details).
- Since the committee cannot read (as much as they want) all the books which are nominated, please include a link to a review of the book with your nomination. The reviews written by the nominator will rank higher. (In plain terms, we would like you to review the book, though it is not binding)
- In keeping with the spirit of the BES and awards, only nominations of the books read by the nominator will be considered. (In plain terms, do not nominate a book if you have read only the review or have just heard about the book. Subject to change.)
- Also, if possible please rank the book on BES (see below for details) in your reviews or your nominations. (Again not binding, but it will help the committee choose the finalists, and would help in the polls)
- The award categories may change based on the number of nominations. (In plain terms, if we get a lot of nominations, we may add genre-based or any other categories under each award)
- Since this is the first time the awards will be given, you can consider all the books you have read till now. From next year onwards, the awards will be restricted to either newly released or newly read books. (In plain terms, no restrictions on which book to nominate).
- Since the committee knows our the regular readers pretty well, the books placed by the committee to be “Beyond BES” will not be considered for any award. (In plain terms, don’t try and nominate Harry Potter for “Mighty Sword” award, as for many regular readers that will violate rule #2 as well as this rule)
So, rush in your entries…
The details about BES can be found here (which also lists some of the nominations for “Mighty Sword“). Of course, the committee is fully aware that the scale is still kind of “hand-waving” formula (that’s what my professor calls such things), so any attempts to formalize/describe the scale fully will be suitably rewarded. (Don’t forget to mention that in your comments). You can also find my book reviews here.
So rush in your entries… You can leave comments on this post or send me an email with your nominations (my email id is in left sidebar). Also, please don’t forget to ask/tell your friends/colleagues/readers about this, to make the awards a success…
Also, please send in any suggestions/criticisms to improve the awards or BES.